Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Sharing time!

Soo  I just wanted to share a few DIY tricks I had up my sleeve, I know, I know.. I'm soo clever. haha This Weekend my little girl turned one, and for some of the "Sweets" to eat I made cake pops! If you have ever had cake bites, or checked out Bakerella (which is where I got the idea)  you know what I'm talking about! They are soo easy, and fun too! I made two different kinds, the first not being as good as the second, so here is what you will need for my favorite.

Red Velvet Cake pops(bites)
1 box of cake mix
1 can of Cream cheese frosting
Chocolate, I used make n' mold candy wafers, found at Roberts crafts.
Lollipop sticks(if wanting to do the pops)
Styrofoam or flower arrangement foam.. (to place cake pops while hardening.)  

Bake the cake as directed, cool, then crumble until fine, no big chunks.

Mix in desired amount of cream cheese frosting. I used a little less than half the can, because on my first run I used the whole can, which was called for, and the mixture was VERY moist and gooey like. I wanted mine a little richer tasting, and more cake like.

When you have the desired consistency roll into bite size balls.. not too small, not too big.  I rolled mine and placed on a cookie sheet and placed in the fridge over night. They will work if you refrigerate for a couple of hours, you just want them firm enough to be dipped into the melted chocolate.  

Its up to you if you would like to make "pops" rather than "bites" But, I find the pops easier, because you have the stick to hold onto.  I melted the chocolate in the microwave, 30 seconds at a time. I then dipped the ends of the sticks in the melted chocolate and stuck the ends into to cake balls, to harden, and make the cake ball stay put while dipping!

Now comes the fun.. dip, swirl, cover in chocolate! I of course used bright colors! Be careful tho, too much chocolate can weigh down the cake and they will fall off the stick! Also, you might want to do a few at a time, the rolled up cake balls tend to get warm and soft and harder to dip without falling apart.

Finally, place onto styrofoam. I didnt do this, and had to hold mine up right until they hardened enough and could set them down.. the foam will hold them up and in place for you! Then EAT EM'! yummmy!


Next up... GLITTER TOES! How fun would it be to do these together?!
 Things you will need:

Glitter (art glitter brand from Roberts)
Clear top coat/base coat. (I used O.P. I)
Paper
Old paint brush, of makeup brush.


These are pretty simple.. I layered 2 different colored glitters. But one will work just fine. I Tried the gel uv top coat first, I thought it would hold and seal the glitter better, but the brush was stiffer and seemed to rub some of the glitter off, but i did use both.

Work with one toe at a time, it gets messy!
Paint your toe(s) as usual, with a layer of top coat. Then pour the glitter of the painted toe.. make sure you have a piece of paper, or something to catch the extra glitter on so you can reuse it. you will need to tap your foot to get some of the excess glitter off, and then you can use the brush to wipe away from around your toes.
Do the other foot.
By this time you can go back to the first and paint a top coat and cover again.  then after both feet have been covered twice you can go back and finish with a clear coat, I did two just to be safe.
You will have glitter left over on your toes, but once they are completely dry it will rub off and can be washed off in the shower!! I love them, they are so cute! And the glitter I bought was $4.99 with 40% off! Plus I already had the top coat!


 Soo cute!

Happy DIY'ing. :)

2 comments:

  1. I am totally doing those glitter toes! I never wanted to pay $10+ to pay for someone to do them and now I know how! My toes will be so cute when baby Jarman comes!

    ReplyDelete